SimpliThai Hor Mohk (Thai Curry Fish Custard)
cooking kit size:
cooking kit includes:
- SimpliThai Red Curry cooking sauce
- 400 ml coconut milk (Aroy-D)
- 1 red bell pepper
- A few sweet peppers
- 1 lb cabbage
- 3-4 sprigs of sweet Thai basil
- about 5 kaffir lime leafs
- 1 tbsp rice powder
- 2 cup of jasmine rice (made 4 cups cooked rice)
- Thai chilis (optional)
you simply add:
your choice of (1-2 cups) protein
- 3-4 eggs
- start to prepare rice
- slice / chop cabbage then cook in boiling water just a few minute, then drain.
- chopped/ground fish/shrimps.
- chop/dice red bell pepper & sweet peppers
- shred/chop the kaffir lime leaf
- chop the Sweet Thai basil
- chop/mince/crush the (optional) Thai chili
- 1 medium-large size mixing bowl and a whisk
- Steamer. if steamer is not available, Use large pot or sauce pan with lid.
- 4-5 (8oz size)- small bowls or baking pan to put mixed curry in for steaming.
- In Large mixing bowl, beat eggs, then add only 300 ml coconut milk, and Red Curry Cooking sauce, then mix well.
- Then add ground/chopped fish/shrimp. mix well.
- Then add chopped red bell pepper, sweet peppers, kaffir lime leaves, Thai basils, and minced Thai chili peppers (optional), then mix well. then set aside.
- Put cooked cabbage in small bowls, fill up 1/3 - 1/2 of bowls.
- Then fill in small bowls from step 4 with curry mixing from step 3. Don't fill a bowl all the way up, leave ~ 1 cm. so that when you steam the curry, it will not over flow.
- Then arrange small bowls from step 5 in a steamer. let steam for 20-30 minutes.
- If you don't have a steamer, then use large pot/sauce pan. Arrange all small bowls in the pot/pan. Then add water into the pot/pan until the water at level of 1/3 of small bowls. cover lid. Then bring a pot/pan to stove with medium high heat. Bring it to boil. then lower heat to medium, let it steams for 20-30 minutes.
- while steaming curry. let's make coconut milk creamer. In small pot or small microwavable bowl, add the rest of coconut milk (~ 100 ml) , then whist in rice powder. Mix well, Then heat it up. By stove, use medium heat, keep whisking until turn gravy thick. By microwave, heat up 30-45 minutes, until the coconut milk hot, then keep whisking until turns gravy thick.
- To serve, top curry custard with coconut milk creamer. garnished with chopped kaffir lime leaves.